There are a few good reasons you might want to tag someone on an Instagram Story.
If your post features a photo or video of the person in question, it’s a good idea to tag them. That way, viewers can click through to their profile and learn more about them or follow them if they wish.
You may also want to tag someone if the content you’re posting is relevant to them in some way. They will receive a notification that they’ve been tagged, ensuring that they won’t miss it.
Here are two ways you can tag someone in your Instagram Story:
Add text to the Instagram Story and tag them in it
- In the Story Editor interface, tap the “Aa” icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Type the @ symbol and then the username you’d like to tag. Instagram will automatically pull up suggestions for people you might want to tag as you start typing. Tap their profile photo to select them.
- Instagram will add an underline to the username.
You can add the tag by itself or in the middle of additional text using this method.
Add a @Mention sticker
- In the Story Editor interface, tap the sticker icon.
- Select the @Mention sticker.
- Begin typing the username you’d like to tag. Instagram will pull up suggestions, and you can tap the profile picture to select a user.
You can tag up to 10 people in one Story.
How to tag someone after you publish your Instagram Story
Forgot to tag someone in your Story?
The bad news is that unlike with Feed posts, you can’t add a tag to a Story after it’s already been published.
The good news is that Stories are brief, you can post as many as you like, and they appear one right after the other.
You can always upload the post again and add the tag this time around. Your followers will see the same post twice, once with the tag and once without.
If you don’t want to bother your followers with an identical slide, you can delete just the previous story and try again.