Lawyer Video Marketing:
The Ultimate Guide for 2020
Video marketing is a crucial aspect of any successful law firm marketing strategy in 2020. A staggering 87% of marketing professionals use video as a marketing tool. Now more than ever before, individuals are likely to select a law practice based on the quality and messaging of their digital presence. Lawyer video marketing is more relevant than it has ever been.
If you are an attorney or legal marketer looking to attract more leads and convert more clients, the time is now to level up your firm’s video marketing strategy. With this lawyer video marketing guide for 2020, you will learn:
- The benefits of video marketing for lawyers
- The basics of incorporating video into your law firm’s online marketing strategy
- How to strategically use video for your legal practice
Why Should You Use Video Marketing for Your Legal Practice?
Video marketing dominates because it gets results. In 2020, 1 billion hours of YouTube video content are watched on a daily basis. While traditional marketing approaches such as print, direct mail or word of mouth referrals might still be working for your law firm to some extent — your business is automatically being put at a competitive disadvantage if it isn’t growing digitally.
Don’t let the other firms in your area get ahead because they’re investing time and resources in building their brand via video. Video will give your firm an identity (and if created effectively, a personality) and will help build trust with both potential and current clients. Video is almost guaranteed to boost your online engagement, give you a great ROI and increase your law firm’s overall visibility.
Consider this: it’s likely that not too many people are reading your website’s mission statement on a daily basis — but if that information and messaging is translated into an engaging video, instantly, many more individuals will be interested in knowing what your firm is all about.
Lawyer Video Marketing Statistics in 2020
Video content creation has proven to be a very effective marketing strategy across all industries. In 2020, research proves that:
- 89% of video marketers say video gives them a good ROI.
- 95% of video marketers plan to increase or maintain video spend in 2020.
- 92% of marketers who use video say that it’s an important part of their marketing strategy. This percentage has grown significantly over the past 5 years – in 2015 the amount stood at 78%.
- Marketers who depend on video have the potential to grow their revenue nearly 50% faster than those who do not.
- 96% of people state that they have watched an explanation video, and 84% of people say that they have been convinced to buy a product or service by watching a brand’s video (source).
Here are some unique lawyer video marketing statistics (source):
- Over 33% of clients start looking for a lawyer online.
- Approx. 96% of people seeking legal advice begin their search online.
- Law firms that utilize video in their marketing strategy almost always see a jump in traffic to their site.
The proof is in the numbers: 2020 is the year for law firms to up their video marketing strategy so that they could expand both brand awareness and clientele. More than ever before, potential clients are seeking legal advice, as well as a potential lawyer, online. The time is now to ensure that your legal firm’s content is showing up at the top of their searches!
3 Tips For Creating Standout Marketing Videos for Your Law Firm
Creating impressive video content is no longer an art reserved only for video marketing professionals. Here are 3 practical tips for creating your legal firm’s marketing video content (regardless of what your experience level is!):
- Try out a video maker app – You may not have the endless resources of a major law firm to outsource advertisers and video editors for a shoot – but that shouldn’t stop you from producing high-quality video content for your practice. VideoBoost is a video maker app that enables you to create professionally-designed videos in a matter of minutes. You can use your own footage or choose from stock footage, and then add text, along with other elements, to customize. It’s free to download and use (you can upgrade to access the entire library of video templates). Here is a sample legal promo video that you can create with VideoBoost:
2. Create videos that can be adapted across various social media platforms – Make the most out of your video content by producing a video that can work across multiple social media platforms. While YouTube might be the first place you think of to build your law firm’s digital presence, why not also share your video to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter? Keep in mind that each social media platform has its own video hosting rules and best practices. Use the following articles as guides for creating the best-possible video content across platforms:
- Expert Tips for Optimizing Your Videos for Social Media
- The Ultimate Guide to Ideal Video Size for Every Social Platform
3. Make sure to add captions – No matter what social platform you’re creating legal video content for, make sure to add captions. Many viewers prefer to watch social videos without sound – they might be in a setting where listening with sound isn’t appropriate and they don’t want to bother getting out their headphones. To this end, 85% of video on Facebook is watched with the sound off! Captions make it possible for your audience to watch your video, no matter what setting they’re in.
Some additional tips include: create a video script as you plan out your video content, and always make sure that your video footage is as high-quality as possible (which is achievable on most updated smartphone models!). For more inspiration and tips for creating your own legal marketing videos, check out these 12 Video Content Marketing Tips.
Once you develop your video marketing strategy, it’s a good practice to ensure that your overall digital presence is updated as well — including maintaining a quality website, and updating your social media channels regularly.
Types of Videos Your Law Firm Can Create
By now you’re (hopefully) convinced that video marketing is invaluable for your law firm…but what type of video content should you be creating? According to Wyzowl, the most commonly-created types of video are as follows:
- Explainer videos – 72%
- Presentation videos – 49%
- Testimonial videos – 48%
- Sales videos – 42%
- Video ads – 42%
Some content types that work especially well for law firms include:
- Firm introduction – Create a video showcasing your firm from the ground up: introduce the attorneys and other various employees, share your company’s background, mission statement etc.
- Attorney profiles – This is especially important for firms with multiple attorneys. Create videos introducing each attorney individually. The content should be a good balance between professional (why they got started in law, what types of cases they work on) and personal (where they’re from, as well as one or two personal, relevant anecdotes).
- Client video testimonials – Client testimonials build trust and create an emotional connection with the viewer. Reach out to past clients, requesting that they share their stories on video on behalf of your firm (the more compelling the story, the better). They should share a bit of their background, details of their legal journey and how your firm changed their lives for the better and fought on their behalf.
- Frequently asked questions – Create a video addressing FAQs that your firm receives often (pro tip: this is a great section to have on your firm’s website as well).
Top 3 Legal Practice Videos
You’ve probably seen years’ worth of terrible, low-quality ads for lawyers on local cable or late-night TV, but with the rise of digital content, the quality of videos produced by law firms has improved immensely.
Get inspired to create your own content with these 3 examples of stellar legal marketing videos:
1. Jebaily Law Firm Brand Video: This South Carolina based law-firm created a standout firm introduction/promo video through storytelling – having its founders share why they got started in law and expressing what motivates them to practice law on a daily basis.
2. The Gibson Firm: The Gibson Firm’s video has strong production quality and impactful messaging throughout – but most importantly, it includes a powerful client testimonial (via video interview of the client) which, as mentioned above, increases the viewer’s trust in the firm, simply by watching.
3. Herrman and Herrman: Another impressive legal promo video that incorporates emotional storytelling as well as a client testimonial – all in 2:27.
With so much competition out there, make your law practice stand out in a crowded legal market with video. Follow this guide to ensure that your law firm gets the exposure, trust and clients that it deserves.