Instagram Stories shakes up the traditional engagement features on social media. Instead of the usual “likes” and comments, the company has created an array of creative new ways for users to interact with their followers, including adding music and links.
Asking questions, and encouraging followers to ask you questions, is a tried-and-true method of increasing engagement. That’s what makes the Instagram Story question sticker such a powerful feature.
Instagram Story questions: How do they work?
Introduced in July 2018, the IG Story question sticker allows you to ask your followers a question, or invite them to ask you questions, and then easily respond in a new Story.
Followers’ responses are not shared publicly: only you can see them. And if you share one of their responses to answer in a Story, their photo and username won’t appear.
One of the great things about this feature is that it invites followers to interact with you privately in a way that feels much less invasive than DMs. It creates a smooth, comfortable transition to DMs if you choose to reply to them privately.
You can also ask questions using other stickers, such as the polls sticker or the emoji slider. The advantage of the question sticker is that users can respond with free text.
How to ask questions on Instagram Stories:
- Using the question sticker couldn’t be easier. Simply select it from the sticker tray and type in your question or prompt.
- Users will be able to tap the text box on the sticker to type in their questions or responses.
- You can add multiple questions or prompts to the same Story by adding more question stickers.
How do you answer questions on Instagram Stories?
- To view the questions your followers have submitted, open your story and swipe up. Then you can scroll through the responses by swiping right and left.
- To answer a question, tap it and select one of these options from the pop-up menu:
- Share Response: This will take you to the Story editor screen, where the user’s response will appear without their username or photo. You can type in your response as text, add any other stickers or images you like, and share it as a new Story.
- Send Message: This will open a DM chat with the user, where you can respond to them privately.
Can you answer a question after 24 hours?
Followers will be able to see your post and ask respond to it for a period of 24 hours. Afterwards, you’ll still be able to see and respond to questions, as long as the Instagram Story is archived.
Does Instagram tell you when someone answers your question?
You’ll receive a notification when someone responds to your question sticker. You’ll also be able to see the responses by opening your story and swiping up, as mentioned above.
If you share someone’s response to your question sticker as a new Story, they will receive a notification, even if you don’t tag them. This ensures that they’ll know when you answer their question.
And of course, they’ll be notified if you respond to their question via DM.