Valentine’s Day is no longer reserved for romantic couples sharing loving selfies across social. Brands and businesses create an endless amount of creative social media content yearly in honor of #ValentinesDay (there are 17M+ usages of that hashtag, by the way!).
Here are 5 standout Instagram content ideas to help your brand spread the love on social.
1. Change up your feed
Plan for your feed colors to match the pinks and reds of Valentine’s Day from the start of February through the 14th. This will not only give your ‘gram an impressive aesthetic, but can actually increase your IG engagement – people are more likely to interact with your brand’s content if it’s timely & matches the mood of the season.
Get inspired by @dunkin’s on-trend feed from 2019:
2. Host a giveaway
Who doesn’t love a good giveaway? Here are a few suggestions for running a successful Valentine’s Day Instagram contest:
- Get creative – think outside the box for your contest concept! One idea: You can ask your audience to share their love stories – either as a comment on your giveaway post, or as their own feed post or Story. Remember to celebrate all different types of love – romantic, familial, friendship etc. Create a branded hashtag for the giveaway and be sure to tie the prompt back to your brand.
- You can also hold a simpler, more classic giveaway (follow/like/tag). Here’s some brand inspiration from a contest @makeupgeekcosmetics ran last year
View this post on Instagram
💕GIVEAWAY💕 To share the love this Valentine's Day, we're giving away a bundle goodies to FOUR lucky people!⠀ . Enter to win (by Friday, Feb. 15 at 12:30pm EST):⠀ – Following @MakeupGeekCosmetics⠀⠀ – Like this post⠀⠀ – Sharing the love by commenting your favorite Valentine's emojis: 💌💕💋⠀ . Swipe left to see what you could win! • Promise Eyeshadow Palette (Shimma Shimma, Nostalgic, Wild West, and Cherry Cola) • Spoiled Iconic Lipstick • Shy Iconic Lipstick • Set List Foiled Lip Gloss • Soft Dome Brush • Outer V Brush . Terms and conditions: https://mkgk.co/2EcMCnx . #giveaway #giveaways #makeupgeek #makeupgeekcosmetics #makeupgeektv #makeup #makeupgiveaway #mua #makeup #makeuplover #makeupaddict #lipstick #highlighter #eyeshadow #eyeshadowpalette #palette #valentinesday #sharethelove #love #lovemakeup #lovebeauty #beauty #makeupgiveaway #valentinesdaygiveaway #makeupgeekgiveaway
- The prize – offer a product, service or experience for two that the winner(s) can share with their loved one.
- Keep in mind – Read up on Instagram’s Promotion Guidelines when planning the details of your giveaway.
3. Share your love…for your IG community!
You probably don’t typically think of your followers as your valentines, but hey – you wouldn’t be where you are today digitally without them! Share a post or Story expressing appreciation for your audience, to your audience (the more sincere and authentic, the better!). Detail specific reasons as to why you appreciate them, and share what you’ve accomplished thanks to their support.
4. Share a few of your favorite things
Create a listicle of the Top 5 (or 10, 20 etc.) things that you’re currently loving. Listicles are a very popular content format (you’re reading one right now!) – they’re digestible and easy to understand. Some ideas:
- Favorite books
- Favorite podcasts. Some inspiration from @frannie_pack:
View this post on Instagram
I'm clean caught up on all my favorite podcasts and need some other good ones! Tell me your best business, true crime, and comedy shows I can subscribe to for a freshen up! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ And in case you're wondering, my current top 5 are: 1. The Jasmine Star show @jasminestar (business) 2. The Life Coach School @thelifecoachschool (Personal Development) 3. For the Love of Money @chriswharder (business + PD) 4. Invisibilia @nprinvisibilia (Educational + Super Interesting!) 5. Everything is Alive @ianchillag (Hilarious + Beautiful + Weird) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Some other old faves include @myfavoritemurder, @goaldiggerpodcast @amyporterfield Online Marketing Made Easy, and of course all the seasons of @serialpodcast ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Any of my insta friends share in my podcast loves? . . . . . . . . . #podcast #podcastreview #favoritepodcasts #boiseentrepreneur #boise #sandiego #femaleentrepreneur #brandingcoach #businesscoach #boisebusiness #boisephotographer #boisebrandphotography #ampersandstudios #voiceandvisual #brandingphotographer
- Favorite Instagram influencers to follow for inspiration within a certain area (such as ‘Top 5 Favorite ‘Grammers to Follow for Social Media Marketing Inspiration’).
This can make a great feed post, Story (or both!) and you can easily repurpose this content for your blog and other social channels.
5. Put together a last minute gift guide
Valentine’s Day is now the 2nd biggest commercial day in the US* – with $20.7B spent in 2019, an amount which is only expected to increase this year. Compile a gift guide (last-minute gift guides work great as well!) and share it as a Story and carousel post . Bonus points if you tie your products or services into your roundup!
Remember to use the right hashtags. No matter which content idea you decide to go with, make sure to optimize your hashtags to make your content more discoverable.
Here are 5 hashtags we recommend incorporating (listed by volume of Instagram hashtag usage, from largest to smallest):
Spread the love on social by getting a head start on planning your Valentine’s Day 2020 Instagram content!
1. Review these content ideas and pick one to pursue on Instagram. You can also search through the hashtags mentioned above for inspiration.
2. Create your content. Try to find a way to utilize both your feed and Stories.
3. Get sharing. Spread the love on Insta! Remember to engage with your audience and to check your Insights often to see how your video is performing.
*Stat Credit: ValueWalk